How to create a Xero Manual Journal
Before creating a Manual Journal, you first need to set up and activate a Manual Journal workflow in ApprovalMax:
Specify all users who will be allowed to create Manual Journals in the "Creation" step. By adding Requesters to this step, they get access to Manual Journal creation via the button .
- In your Organisation, select Manual Journal and click on CREATE A REQUEST:
- You can now create a Manual Journal approval request:
- Fill in the mandatory data such as Narration (a description of the Manual Journal) and Journal date.
- If you want to show Journals On Cash Basis Reports, tick the respective checkbox.
- You can default the Narration to the Journal Line Description by ticking the checkbox.
In the first line, select an account from the Account field. Depending on whether you want to debit or credit that account, enter the amount in the correct column.
Please note: Xero doesn’t allow to use some system (including payables and receivables) and bank accounts in Manual Journals.
- In the next line, select the respective other account - the one you're moving money to or from. Depending on whether you entered a Debit or Credit in the first line, enter the same amount in the opposite column.
- Check the amounts - you should have the same amount in both the Credit column in one line and the Debit column in the other. This means the accounts are in balance.
- When done, click on the SUBMIT FOR APPROVAL button.
Once submitted, the Manual Journal will run through the predefined approval workflow. When all approvals are in place, the Manual Journal will be pushed to Xero along with a detailed audit trail of the entire workflow.
Note: as a part of accrual accounting manual journals can be generated from the line item accrual report.
How does the Xero Manual Journal workflow work?
In ApprovalMax, you can set up multi-step approval workflows for Xero Manual Journals. Users of Organisations connected to Xero then create Manual Journal requests directly in ApprovalMax. This is how the approval of Manual Journals works: Manual ...
How can I specify instructions for Xero Manual Journal Requesters?
An Organisation's Administrator can provide a message to be shown to Requesters during request creation. This is how to set up instructions for Manual Journal Requesters: Select your Organisation in the main menu and open "Approval workflows" page ...
How can I make Xero Manual Journal fields mandatory?
During the configuration of the Requester matrix you can decide for some fields whether they are to be mandatory, or optional. This is how you make certain fields mandatory: Select your Organisation in the main menu and open "Approval workflows" page ...
How to create a Line Item Accrual report and export it to a Manual Journal
Creating Accruals* in ApprovalMax is a straightforward process that helps maintaining accurate financial data. * Accruals in ApprovalMax on Line Item level provide a comprehensive solution that allows you to create Accrual reports, generate journals ...
Can I create/approve Xero Manual Journal requests in the mobile app?
Yes, it's possible to process Xero Manual Journals on mobile devices. The mobile app provides for: Requesters to create Xero Manual Journals and submit them for approval Approvers to approve/reject Xero Manual Journals, reassign requests to other ...